Portland Fire & Rescue's Cadet Program Now Taking Applications (Photo)
Are you or someone you know 16-20 years-old and interested in becoming a firefighter?
Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) Cadet Program provides the opportunity for young men and women, ages 16 to 20, to become familiar with career opportunities available in the fire service. Through classroom instruction, hands-on training, and volunteer work, Cadets are provided a base of knowledge and experience that will benefit them not only in fire service careers, but also in all future endeavors. The program is designed to encourage and promote accountability, being safe, communication, teamwork, fitness and develop leadership skills.
PF&R is committed to providing our Cadets with the most realistic experience possible. The Cadet Program is designed and functions similarly to a Fire Science/Fire Academy.
- Hands-on training and fire ground skills
- Emergency Medical Response skills
- Physical fitness
- Academic Requirements
- Crew Dynamics/Interaction
- Tours of specialty areas within PF&R
- Application/Interview Process
The goal of the program is to provide Cadets with a basic understanding of the fire service and to prepare them for future professional advancement opportunities such as Resident/Volunteer Firefighting, College Level Fire Science Programs and EMT/Paramedic Programs.
- Cadets must be between the ages of 16 and 20.
- Cadets must be able to attend weekly drills every Saturday from 9:00 am to 11:30 am, October through May.
- Pass weekly quizzes and complete academic assignments.
- Perform weekly physical fitness and training specific to firefighting skills, including the Physical Agility Test (PAT) upon completion from the Program.
- Complete assigned duties/responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Adhere to dress and conduct codes provided.
- Willingness to make improvements and show self-motivation
Applications are due by Aug. 31, 2018. Applicants should apply here: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/fire/cadet
Posted on Tue, 07 Aug 2018 17:57:39 GMT